NPI is a local nonprofit, educational charity. We are totally dependent on contributions through membership dues (basic - $15/perso ** $25 for families ** $500 for Lifetime). Additionally, donations of money, volunteer time and talent are essential to meet operational, program and restoration/maintenance expenses. Without your contribution, these historical sites will be lost. Please join us this year. All gifts are tax-deductible.
NPI was incorporated in 1983 and has since worked on a number of historical preservation projects in Northumberland County, VA.
NPI has worked successfully with the Virginia Dept. of Transportation ("VDOT") in identifying and initially researching potential Northumberland County sites to receive an historical highway marker. These familiar silver and black highway plaques are a very popular part of driving in Virginia...
Since 1986, NPI has taken on the restoration and maintenance of the Shiloh School House(s).
Located in Ball's Neck between Kilmarnock and Wicomico Church, VA, Shiloh School is a rare survival of the simple rural schools once plentiful throughout Virginia.
On display are two separate school houses. The original was built in 1884 and wasn't discovered and identified, just a half mile down the road from where its successor stands until about 2009. On November 30, 2010, it was moved to its current spot right next to its replacement. The original school operated until the successor school was built in 1906. The 1906 School is an axial-fronted frame building that, along with its rural setting, has been little altered in the years since its construction. This school was used between 1906 and 1929
Officially known as Public School #8, Shiloh School, was built of lumber cut and milled on the Diller Farm in the summer of 1906 by local men whose children would be educated there. One of the unusual features of the school is its side gabled structure and the exterior style construction of its interior chimney. The school is clad in pine weatherboard and has the metal clad roof common in the early 1900s. Shiloh School served the children of the area until it was replaced by a new, larger school at Wicomico Church in 1929. From then until it was given to NPI in 1987 by James and Emily Hudnall, the old school was used as a farm storage building.
ga('create', 'UA-12745359-8', 'auto');